Library Scholarly Publishing Office Monthly Report: November
Work moved steadily ahead on a number of fronts this month, despite
staff spending many days at conferences. With the release of the textclass
middleware from DLPS, we were able to begin working on retrieval systems for our
journals, notably the Philosophers' Imprint. Much of the groundwork for
the digitization of MQR and Cross Currents backfiles was completed – in
MQR';s case we have made good progress on converting the last several years
to XML. While we are still waiting to get content from ACLS, we did have the
opportunity to meet with Nancy
Lin and work out several procedural issues. And,
as always, projects remaining from the days of DLPD filled part of our capacity,
including the continued project management for MoA4, as well as work on several
bibliographic database projects.
2 Program building
2.1 Work on environmental study
- From list of (about 60) scholarly publishers on Campus, identified about 20
for initial contact.
3 Content building
3.1 Communication with faculty editors
- Contacted Michigan Germanic Studies journal, whose board will be meeting in
December to discuss the future of the journal: whether they want to go online or
discontinue journal altogether
3.2 Support for the Philosophers' Imprint
- Built mapping script to transform content to textclass.dtd
- Transformed Dear Self to textclass.dtd
- Worked on web templates.
- Began reviewing the requirements for incorporating Journal Class items with
Text Class middleware and templates. For the short term, opted for modifying
middleware developed for The Journal of Electronic
3.3 Support for The Medieval Review
- Wrote initial draft of script to transform TMR to textclass.
- Met with Chris Powell about tag set issues.
- Templates need to be created for display and searching TMR in textclass.
- Instructed TMR editors how to insert URLs for publishers into their SGML.
They are very busy now due to end of semester duties, but they will start adding
this information at their convenience. They will also start using the new
article submission system at the beginning of next
3.4 Support for the Michigan Quarterly Review
3.4.1 Digitize backfile
- Continued to work with David Rosenfeld on training, fine tuning, improving
the Quark.avenue conversion process.
- David converted volumes 36 and 67 of MQR to XML using Quark encoding DTD,
and created article records for each article in a FileMaker database.
- Wrote PERL script to transform quark XML to textclass
- Gave Cory specs to generate correct textclass header for each article from
the article submission system
- Created FileMaker script to generate textclass headers for each article from
the FileMaker record.
- Contacted Cushing Malloy about MQR images. Have not yet heard back from
- Organized back issues of MQR. We are missing two issues, Summer 1966 and
- Obtained approval for funding for digitizing backfile.
3.5 Work on publication opportunities with Slavic Department
3.5.1 Digitize and put Cross Currents online.
- Obtained permission to digitize Yale University Press volumes from
3.6 Support for 4DP2
- Proposal is complete and going forth to the College of Engineering.
Discussion has begun about the possibility of digitizing back issues of the
3.7 Work with Library staff to identify publication possibilities within their
Arranged for digitization of items in recent Labadie exhibit on the
life of Joseph Labadie. Obtained electronic files of catalog copy and will
begin soon to work on electronic version of catalog.Discussed electronic
version of BHL's publication on the Women's Voices: The Early Years
at the University of Michigan. Will be receiving digital images and electronic
text files shortly.
4 Electronic subscription management
Accounts set up for assessment of authentication user management system as
tool to manage permissions for journal subscribers. Assessment will take place
in early December.
5 Support for ACLS
Met with Nancy Lin from the ACLS E-book Project Center to discuss a number
of issues around the creation of the XML and the online system.
6 Transitional goals
6.1 Release Directory of Ethnic Organizations
- Updated Ethnic Directory web directories and prep
6.2 Complete and release BMP Index
- Communicated with PDCC about keyboarding questions for BMP.
- Received completed BMP Filemaker file from vendor.
- QC'd the file and made some minor corrections.
- Began mapping BMP content to
6.3 Continue as liaison to DLPS for Arts of Citizenship, Making of Ann Arbor and
the Saline Historical Photographs project.
- Updated admin database for SOS
6.4 Miscellaneous transitional work
- MuTech trouble shooting for records with multiple-but-not-duplicate marc
099 entries. The loading map was updated and the relevant CDs were sent to Nita
Patterson for reloading.
7 Outreach, collaboration and intra-library cooperation
- Completed import of BAS SGML into new FileMaker templates and returned files
- Received, cleaned, and uploaded new records for the DLF databases
and http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/d/dlfcoll/dlfcoll-idx )
- Bonn participated in the interviews for the Latin American Studies
- Bonn met with Michael Jensen as part of his consultation to the UM
- Rosenblum gave presentation on DLI to Kyrgyz university presidents.
- Bonn presented on issues around digital archiving at the Charleston
conference and on developing policy for digital libraries at the DLF forum.
- Sheppard attended ASIS annual meetings.
- All SPO staff attended DLF