Faculty Women's Club (University of Michigan) Records
 


Bentley Historical Library banner

Faculty Women's Club (University of Michigan) records

The materials in this online repository form part of a larger Faculty Women's Club (University of Michigan) record group held by the Bentley Historical Library. For a more complete index to the materials, please consult the collection's online finding aid.

For questions or more information, please contact the Bentley Historical Library's Division of Reference and Access Services

Abstract:
Proceedings, treasurer's reports, committee reports, scrapbooks, and various administrative records.

History:
On October 26, 1921, Nina Burton, wife of U-M President Marion Leroy Burton, gathered together at the President's House fifty women - wives of professors, department heads, deans, and administrative officers - to form a faculty women's club. Then, as now, the purpose of the club was to promote acquaintance, friendship, and collegiality among its members.

The Faculty Women's Club (FWC) was designed so that women faculty and wives of faculty members who shared similar interests would be able to form close friendships in small interest groups. In 1922, the FWC had three interest sections: Drama, Day Nursery and Athletics. Today, there are 39 active sections reflecting the diverse interests, activities and enthusiasms of the members.

Special care has always been taken to welcome newcomers and visiting faculty to the university family. Each interest group has always permitted a limited number of guests from the community, creating a "Town and Gown" atmosphere. The original group of 50 ladies has grown to over 600.

In its early years, the University provided a red brick house on South Ingalls. When the Michigan League was completed in the Spring of 1929, the FWC moved its activities to the League rooms, where many of the major events are still held. The FWC sponsors three major gatherings a year; the Fall Reception, a Mid-Winter Party, and the Spring Luncheon and Annual Membership and Business Meeting.

Please note:

Copyright has been transferred to the Regents of the University of Michigan.

Recent Deposits RSS Feed

View more

Search Deep Blue

Advanced Search

Browse by

My Account

Information

Coming Soon


MLibrary logo