Center for the History of Medicine (University of Michigan) Records
 


Bentley Historical Library banner

Center for the History of Medicine (University of Michigan) records

The materials in this online repository form part of a larger Center for the History of Medicine (University of Michigan) record group held by the Bentley Historical Library. For a more complete index to the materials, please consult the collection's online finding aid.

Researchers may also be interested in the Center for the History of Medicine (University of Michigan) Web Archives.

For questions or more information, please contact the Bentley Historical Library's Division of Reference and Access Services

Abstract:
University of Michigan unit established in 1990 in part to collect and disseminate information regarding the history of health sciences in Michigan. Records include newsletter of the Center; collected historical manuscripts, photographs, and motion pictures relating to the development of health sciences at the University of Michigan; include notebooks of medical school students, account book, 1831-1839, of Berrien Springs, Michigan physician, and miscellaneous materials relating to the medical school and to medical practice.

History:
The Historical Center for the Health Sciences (HCHS) was founded in January 1990 at the University of Michigan for the purpose of "fostering broader understanding and deeper appreciation of the pioneering role taken by the University and the State of Michigan to advance knowledge of disease and promote human health" (Retrospectives, Spring 1992).

Through the efforts of its first director, Nicholas Steneck, HCHS began a ten-year campaign to establish a major program to serve the university and the state of Michigan by collecting and disseminating information regarding the history of health sciences in Michigan via lectures and conferences, and the publication of research guides, monographs, and its newsletter Retrospectives.

Howard Markel succeeded Steneck as director in 1996 and was inaugurated as George E. Wantz Distinguished Professor of the History of Medicine in 1998. While continuing to address the history of the health sciences in Michigan, the institution developed a new focus under Markel: "conducting research and collaborations that place contemporary medical dilemmas in context with past events to help inform public health and medical policies." To reflect this shift, the Historical Center for the Health Sciences was renamed the Center for the History of Medicine (CHM) in 2002 (http://chm.med.umich.edu/about/).

Please note:

Copyright has been transferred to the Regents of the University of Michigan.



Access to digitized sound recordings may be limited to the reading room of the Bentley Historical Library, located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.

Recent Deposits RSS Feed

View more

Search Deep Blue

Advanced Search

Browse by

My Account

Information

Coming Soon


MLibrary logo