Hospitals (University of Michigan) Records
 


Bentley Historical Library banner

Hospitals (University of Michigan) records

The materials in this online repository form part of a larger Hospitals (University of Michigan) record group held by the Bentley Historical Library. For a more complete index to the materials, please consult the collection's online finding aid.

Researchers may also be interested in the University of Michigan Health System Web Archives.

For questions or more information, please contact the Bentley Historical Library's Division of Reference and Access Services

Abstract:
The University of Michigan Hospital system has evolved and expanded since its inception in 1869. The various hospitals, such as the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital and W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, provide medical treatment to the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. The Hospitals records contain five series: Hospital Administration, Nursing, Committees/Councils, Patient Files, and Hospital Buildings. This collection includes meeting minutes, patient files, director files, correspondence, and more.

History:

University Hospitals Chronology

1869 A professor’s home on North University is converted into a small hospital (20-24 beds) for patients, becoming the first hospital controlled by a university medical school.
1875 Two pavilions are added to the existing hospital, for a total of 60 beds. The construction is made possible by state appropriation as well as funding from the city of Ann Arbor.
1889 Appropriations from the Michigan Legislature, combined with funding from the city of Ann Arbor allow for the construction of a new hospital, built on Catherine Street over the next two years.
1891 The new Catherine Street Hospital opens and is shared by the medical department and the homeopathic medical college. The homeopathic medical college moves to another location in 1900, with the vacated space taken over by University Hospital.
1903 The 75-bed Palmer Ward, one of the first children’s wards in the United States, opens in the Catherine Street Hospital.
1908 Jay B. Draper becomes hospital superintendent, serving until 1915. During his tenure, the hospital becomes responsible for its own finances, resulting in a surplus. The resulting complaints lead to the formation of a new Hospital Committee, created by Regental approval (January 1912), to oversee the hospital.
1910 The University opens Michigan’s first psychiatric hospital.
1924 Harley A. Haynes (M.D. 1902) is appointed director of the University Hospital and is one of the earliest to bring cost accounting to hospital administration.
1925 The Catherine Street Hospital is replaced by University Hospital (also known as Old Main Hospital), a 700-bed facility, built at a cost of $4.4 million.
1928 University Hospital offers the first physician training program in thoracic surgery.
1942 The University of Michigan Base Hospital (General Hospital No. 298) is organized and subsequently serves in England, France, and Belgium.
1950 Women’s Hospital opens as a 66,822 square foot facility. The Birth Center was one of the first facilities to offer single-room maternity care.
1955 The Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Hospital opens.
1969 C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital opens its doors, as the University’s first hospital devoted entirely to children. The 272,732 square foot facility houses 200 beds.
1972 The James and Lynelle Holden Perinatal Hospital is built, providing care for premature and critically ill infants.
1975 The Regents approve the Bylaws for the Executive Board of University Hospital.
1976 The W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, a 32-bed facility, is established, providing patient care, education and research in eye diseases.
1978 The Regents approve the creation of the Finance and Personnel Committee, which serves as a governing authority for financial matters and strategic planning.
1982 The University begins its Survival Flight program, a hospital-based airborne emergency medical service - the first in the state.
1986 The University Hospital and A. Alfred Taubman Health Care Center open. The 11-story hospital is nearly 1.8 million square feet in size and holds 550 beds. The A. Alfred Taubman Health Care Center, which houses 120 outpatient clinics. The conversion from Old Main into the new facilities takes place on Feb. 14.
1986 M-CARE, a University HMO plan is developed. As of the year 2002, it serves over 200,000 members in 14 counties, offering HMO, point of service, Medicare and Medicaid plans.
1990 The hospitals expand, adding integrated services for women and children in new space and renovated units in existing hospitals.
1995 Creation of Michigan Health Care Corporation, and University of Michigan Health System
1997 The University of Michigan moves its cancer and geriatrics clinical and research programs into the $88 million Cancer Center and Geriatrics Center Building.
1999 The Health System creates the Department of Emergency Medicine.
2001 The University of Michigan Health System establishes the nation's first Depression Center.
2006 Construction begins on the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital and Women's Hospital addition after receiving a $25 million grant from the Mott Foundation
2007 The University of Michigan Cardiovascular clinical building opens to provide support for heart, vascular, and stroke care patients.
2009 The Health System receives a $15 million gift from the Ted and Jane Von Voigtlander Foundation to begin construction on a new women's hospital.
2010 The new Brehm Tower at the W.K. Kellogg Eye Center opens, increasing the capacity of providing eye care to patients.
2011 The new C.S. Mott Women's Hospital and Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital opens. The Adult Emergency Department and Psychiatric Emergency area is expanded.
2012 A master affiliation agreement is signed with the Michigan hospitals of Trinity Health
2013 Ground is broken on a new outpatient center, the Northville Health Center. University of Michigan managed inpatient beds are opened in the Chelsea Community Hospital and Saint Joseph Mercy-Ann Arbor Hospital. The Cardiovascular Center is named in honor of Samuel and Jean Frankel.

Name Changes in Hospital Administration

During the early years of the University Hospital operation (1869-1874), the institution was entrusted to the care of janitors and matrons. In 1874, a house physician was placed in charge, beginning a series of different titles, ranging from steward, to superintendent and later, director. The list of early overseers is sketchy.

The University Hospital Board in Control was replaced by the University Hospital Executive Board in 1974.

In 1978, the Board of Clinical Directors was superseded by the Nursing Executive Committee

In 1982 the Planning Advisory Committee became the Public Advisory Board.

The Replacement Hospital Project was dissolved in June 1984 with the formation of the Vice Provost Advisory Board, under the administration of the Vice Provost for Medical Affairs.

In January 1989 the Hospital Executive Team became the Hospital Advisory Group.

In 1997 the U-M Board of regents approves "University of Michigan Health System" encompassing the Hospitals and Health Centers, Medical School, M-Care, and Michigan Health Corp.

The School of Nursing becomes a part of the University of Michigan Health System in 2008. All of the hospitals and many of the clinical units are transitioned into a computerized order entry system called UM-CareLink.

Hospital Superintendents / Directors

1869-1870 John Carrington -- Janitor and Steward
1874-1876 Robert J. Peare -- House Physician
1877- ? Alexander Maclean -- Hospital Superintendent
1888-1897 Joseph Clark -- Steward; Superintendent
1897-1900 Harry W. Clark -- Superintendent
1900-1908 E.S. Gilmore -- Superintendent
1908-1915 Jay B. Draper -- Superintendent
1912-1918 Hospital Committee; Reuben Peterson (Medical Director)
1915-1918 Robert Greve -- Superintendent (Temporary)
1918-1924 Dr. Christopher G. Parnall -- Medical Superintendent and Director
1924 Robert G. Greve -- Acting Director
1924-1945 Harley A. Haynes -- Hospital Director
1945-1969 Albert C. Kerlikowske -- Hospital Director
1969-1973 Edward J. Connors -- Hospital Director
1973-1974 David G. Dickinson -- Acting Director
1975-1985 Jeptha W. Dalston -- Executive Director
1985-1996 John D. Forsyth -- Executive Director
1996-2005 Larry Warren -- Executive Director
2006-2010 Douglas Strong -- Interim Director
2010-2014 Tony Denton -- Executive Director
2014- Shon Dwyer -- Executive Director

Please note:

Copyright has been transferred to the Regents of the University of Michigan.



Access to digitized sound recordings may be limited to the reading room of the Bentley Historical Library, located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.

Search Deep Blue

Advanced Search

Browse by

My Account

Information

Coming Soon


MLibrary logo