St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church (Clawson, Mich.) Records
 


Bentley Historical Library banner

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church (Clawson, Mich.) records

The materials in this online repository form part of a larger St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church (Clawson, Mich.) record group held by the Bentley Historical Library. For a more complete index to the materials, please consult the collection's online finding aid.

For questions or more information, please contact the Bentley Historical Library's Division of Reference and Access Services

Abstract:
The records of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church (Clawson, Mich.) document the history of the church from its beginning in 1951 to its closing in 2011. Records include church registers, parish directories, bulletins, newsletters, photographs, and other administrative records.

History:
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was founded in 1951 as a mission of St. John's Episcopal Church in Royal Oak. Rev. Henry Simpson, a retired priest of the Diocese of Michigan officiated a morning prayer service at Kenwood School in Clawson, which was attended by the group who would become the first congregation of St. Andrew's. The congregation would meet at the school until 1955 when the first of three structures which would house St. Andrew's was built. At that point Rev. Alex Newell had become vicar. In August of 1958 he was replaced by Rev. William O. Swan. Swan was then succeeded by Rev. Paul S. Hiyama, who remained for 15 years and became the first rector when St. Andrew's attained parish status in 1962.

The final church building with expansion was opened on Christmas Eve in 1963. Hiyama was replaced in July of 1964 by interim rector Rev. Howard S. Ebright. In August 1975 Reverend Edward J. Campbell was made rector and remained for 12 years. Rev. Harry T. Cook succeeded in Campbell in 1987. He was joined by Rev. E. Anne Kramer, Deacon, in a team ministry.

Saint Andrew's suffered financial difficulties towards the end of its existence. Cook retired in 2009, and the congregation was led briefly by Rev. Mark Jenkins and Fr. Bill Fleming, before its members voted to close the church in September of 2010. The final service was given on January 5, 2011, and was presided over by Bishop Wendell Gibbs of the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan.

Please note:

Copyright has been transferred to the Regents of the University of Michigan.



Access to digitized sound recordings may be limited to the reading room of the Bentley Historical Library, located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.

Recent Deposits RSS Feed

View more

Search Deep Blue

Advanced Search

Browse by

My Account

Information

Coming Soon


MLibrary logo