Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan) records
The materials in this online repository form part of a larger Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan) records collection held by the Bentley Historical Library. For more information about the materials, please consult the collection's online finding aid.
For questions or more information, please contact the Bentley Historical Library's Division of Reference and Academic Programs
The Detroit Observatory, an astronomical observatory on the campus of the University of Michigan, was the vision of University of Michigan President Henry Philip Tappan. He recognized the need for institutions of higher education to pursue scientific endeavors. Built in 1854, the Detroit Observatory was named after the Detroit residents who helped finance the building project. Extensive restoration work of the Observatory was completed in 1999.
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
Access to digitized sound recordings may be limited to the reading room of the Bentley Historical Library, located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.