Show simple item record

The differences in biomass and relative abundance of periphytic algal types between light and shaded sites in the Maple River, Pellston, Michigan.

dc.contributor.authorCook, Jenniferen_US
dc.coverage.spatialMaple River - East Branchen_US
dc.date.accessioned2007-06-14T22:05:36Z
dc.date.available2007-06-14T22:05:36Z
dc.date.issued1993en_US
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/54421
dc.description.abstractMany abiotic factors affect the growth of periphytic algae in lentic environments, one of the most important being light intensity. Though experiments and studies have been done the effects of light intensity on algae, the results have varied widely depending on the species and environment studied. This report focuses mainly on the light preferences of periphytic algae in the east branch of the Maple River (Lat. 84 46'N, Long. 45 30.5' W, sec. 14 T36N, R4W, Cheboygan County, Michigan). The study includes differences in biomass between shaded and open sites, as well as the relative abundance of species between sites. The biomass results show that all algae are present in greater quantities in open environment with high light intensity compared to shaded environments. 89% of cells noted in this study were diatoms, which occurred with no statistical difference between the open and shaded area. Of the remaining 11% of cells counted, Chlorophyta and Cyanophyta tended to be more abundant in the open area. The Chlorophyte, Oscillatoria, seemed dominate in the open areas, but the sample sizes were too small to merit statistical testing. Small numbers of Rhodophyta were also counted, and were found only in shaded areas, but, again, the samples were too small to determine significance.en_US
dc.format.extent333166 bytes
dc.format.extent3144 bytes
dc.format.mimetypeapplication/pdf
dc.format.mimetypetext/plain
dc.relation.haspartTable of Numbersen_US
dc.subjectGeneral Ecologyen_US
dc.titleThe differences in biomass and relative abundance of periphytic algal types between light and shaded sites in the Maple River, Pellston, Michigan.en_US
dc.typeWorking Paperen_US
dc.subject.hlbsecondlevelNatural Resource and Environmenten_US
dc.subject.hlbtoplevelScienceen_US
dc.contributor.affiliationumBiological Station, University of Michiganen_US
dc.contributor.affiliationumcampusAnn Arboren_US
dc.description.bitstreamurlhttp://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/54421/1/2858.pdfen_US
dc.description.filedescriptionDescription of 2858.pdf : Access restricted to on-site users at the U-M Biological Station.en_US
dc.owningcollnameBiological Station, University of Michigan (UMBS)


Files in this item

Show simple item record

Accessibility: If you are unable to use this file in its current format, please select the Contact Us link and we can modify it to make it more accessible to you.